Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Oat Groats

This wonderful grain can be used is so many ways and I have three gallons of it so this is what we will be using it for.

Hot oatmeal for the cooler mornings.

For one person simmer 1/2 cup water and 1/3 cup old fashioned oatmeal on the stove for 5 to 7 minutes.

For four people simmer 3 cups water and 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oatmeal for 5 to 7 minutes.

To this I add brown sugar, almonds and whatever dried fruit I have on hand. You could also add butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin spice, chocolate chips and any type of nuts.


Cold granola cereal for a quick no cook breakfast or snack.

This is the recipe I used for the granola that we are using for cold cereal. Keith said it is better than the Bear Naked brand I purchased at Wal-Mart. I told him to be honest and he said that he was. I added 1/4 cup sliced almonds and 1/4 cup craisins.


Yummy granola bars to give the extra energy needed some days and as a snack to hold us over till dinner on other days.

This is the closest recipe to the way we like them that I am able to find on the web. You can add any dried fruit that you want and you can also add any nuts that you would like. Also you could add protein powder to make them more like a protein bar if you prefer.

Other great recipes that you can use granola for are:
Blueberry-Cranberry Granola Bar Muffins
Oatmeal Honey Raisin Bread
Giant Breakfast Cookies

Granola is a great pantry staple to have on hand because it can be used in so many ways. I hope you enjoyed this and that it inspired you to create something yummy with oatmeal.

Credit for these photos can be found here, here, here and here.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Hummmm... Yummy, that stuff looks so good!